Joe is a young, gay chef who is HIV-positive. He arrives in Walford in July 1991 and gets a job at Ian Beale's restaurant, The Meal Machine. He encourages Mark Fowler to tell his parents that he is HIV-positive. When Ian discovers that Joe has HIV, he sacks him and disinfects his whole kitchen. Joe then leaves Walford to live with his parents and is the last person to see Eddie Royle alive before Eddie is murdered by Nick Cotton in September that year.
At the trial of Eddie's murder in 1993, Joe briefly returns as a witness. Joe saves Clyde Tavernier from being convicted of the crime, by testifying that he saw Nick Cotton climb down his drainpipe the night Eddie was murdered. This implicates him as a suspect and provides enough reasonable doubt to secure Clyde's release from custody.
His mother writes to Mark telling him he is dying in a hospice in 1994. Joe's death of HIV shocks Mark, but it is visiting the hospice that leads him to meet his future wife, Ruth Aitken.
- Episode 676 (30 July 1991)
- Episode 678 (6 August 1991)
- Episode 679 (8 August 1991)
- Episode 680 (13 August 1991)
- Episode 681 (15 August 1991)
- Episode 684 (27 August 1991)
- Episode 685 (29 August 1991)
- Episode 686 (3 September 1991)
- Episode 687 (5 September 1991)
- Episode 688 (10 September 1991)
- Episode 711 (28 November 1991)
- Episode 712 (3 December 1991)
- Episode 713 (5 December 1991)
- Episode 715 (12 December 1991)
- Episode 716 (17 December 1991)
- Episode 717 (19 December 1991)